My thanks to W8 for this tip.
Wally is a Qt4 wallpaper changer, using multiple sources like files, folders, FTP remote folders, Flickr, Yahoo!, Panoramio, Pikeo, Ipernity, Photobucket, Buzznet, Picasa and Smugmug images. Not only that, but it also works on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Ubuntu users will be glad to know that it even comes with pre-build .deb packages for both 32 and 64bit versions (download link at the end of the post).
· History support
· Many wallpaper layouts available on all platforms
· EXIF data available over picture and in system tray tooltip
· Save downloaded photos
· Run-time folder change detection in “Folder” mode
· Proxy support
· It supports KDE3, KDE4, Gnome, XFCE4, Fluxbox, Blackbox, FVWM (unstable), WindowMaker window managers.
- Wally is a kick-ass, connected wallpaper changer for Windows, Mac, and Linux (downloadsquad.com)
- Keep Your Wallpaper Fresh with Cross-Platform Wally [Downloads] (lifehacker.com)
- Wally: A Cross Platform Wallpaper Changer (maketecheasier.com)